Thursday, January 17, 2008

Phase 1 Day 4

Breakfast: Nut Butter Smoothie, 280C

I've always been a fan of almond butter, but I never thought to blend it in a smoothie. This great-tasting drink was also made with some banana and organic silken tofu and soy milk.




Snack 1: Apple & Walnuts, 260C

Walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and are one of my favorite nuts.




Lunch: Asian Bean Salad with Tahini Dressing, 470C

It was exciting to see tahini on the grocery list because I thought it would be used in a dish that called for hummus. But alas, no. No pita bread during phase I anyway. The salad mix comprises adzuki beans (which I've ever only tasted sweetened in numerous Asian desserts), organic baby spinach, snow peas, bean sprouts, and scallions. The tahini was mixed with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and minced garlic. I realize that from the picture, the salad may not look too appetizing. When I first stirred the dressing components together, it turned out nice and creamy. My mistake was leaving it in the fridge too long where it became thick and grainy. And subsequent microwaving made it even more grainy. I'll get it right next week. I also need to remember to bump up the acid with more lemon juice.




Snack 2: Artichoke Paste with Raw Veggies, 105C

Some artichoke hearts processed with with a little olive oil and Italian herbs. Tasty.




Dinner: Coconut Dal with Steamed Broccoli & Brown Rice, 490C

It's nice to see that the UM diet encompasses many ethnic cuisines. From the Moroccan Chicken, to the Asian Bean Salad, and now to Coconut Dal, which I think is Indian-inspired. This was truly mouth-watering! The dal was made by simmering yellow split peas in some lite coconut milk and organic low sodium vegetable broth with turmeric, garlic, onion, and freshly grated ginger. I look forward to having this again next Thursday.

.

No comments: