Thursday, January 24, 2008

Phase 1 Day 11



Breakfast: Cashew Nut Butter Smoothie (1.4)
Snack 1: Pomegranate & Dry Roasted Edamame
Lunch: Asian Bean Salad with Tahini Dressing (1.4)
Snack 2: Unsweetened Plain Soy Yogurt with Apples & Pecans
Dinner: Coconut Dal with Steamed Broccoli & Brown Rice (1.4)

Holy cow, I just realized today was completely vegetarian! I didn't miss the meat too much, though I do wish I had supplemented the day's strength exercises with more protein. The roasted edamame was an excellent source though, at 14g/oz svg. It's always been one of my favorite snacks, and it was an awesome surprise to find it being sold in bulk at Costco, as it can get somewhat pricey at Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's. Anyway, the salty/crunchy from the edamame and the sweet/juicy from the pomegranate made for an interesting and pleasant pairing.



Last week I tried out an almond butter smoothie. Today's cashew butter smoothie was a nice change. I also decided to explore outside the UM book a little bit, and the parfait, though not necessarily a UM recipe-inspired snack, was healthfully decadent.
___________________________________________________________________
p90X Legs/Back, Ab Ripper X

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to know

Where do you find the time?

Mark said...

It's not too bad, actually. I just spend a good amount of time either Saturday and/or Sunday to plan for the following week, go grocery shopping,and do a lot of kitchen prep work (mostly washing and slicing vegetables and fruits) in advance. And then everyday I just try to keep mindful of what I need to do to maximize my time the following day, like gather all the ingredients, and defrost whatever needs to be defrosted, etc. It's also helpful to make double batches of stuff so you have leftovers.

School resumes pretty soon and so I'm sure I'll be much busier then, but I'm trying hard to make health a priority so will work my best to keep this up. I'm learning that just a little careful planning can go a super long way.

Unknown said...

I've found that occasionally adding a tablespoon of cocoa nibs to my cashew smoothie is a real treat!