Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Phase 1 Day 3

Breakfast: Hot Brown Rice, Nuts, & Flax, 350C

The brown rice was cooked in soy milk and interestingly seasoned with nutmeg, which subtly and nicely complemented the flavors of the flaxseed and Brazil nut toppings. I think the stovetop heat was too high, and so the moisture quickly evaporated and left the brown rice dry and slightly undercooked. Still a yummy breakfast though. Instead of a saucepan, I'll just try using a rice cooker next week.



Snack 1: Apple & Soynuts, 205C

I actually first plated some walnuts but then decided to substitute with soynuts because I had just completed a resistance-training exercise routine, and I remember learning that soy is the most complete non-meat source of protein and packs in more protein than most true nuts. They're also an excellent source of fiber (6g/oz)!



Lunch: Avocado & Bean Tacos, 255C

Wowzers. I've even invented a new word, though I think I've heard it before. I thought this would be a boring lunch, but more and more I'm learning that the UM Diet works miraculous flavor combinations. Mum was initially emphatic that she wouldn't have some, but I persuaded her to take a small taste of just the filling. She then begged me to prepare for her a whole taco, to which I happily obliged. I absolutely love it when the rare opportunity arises in which I get to teach my family that healthy can also mean really tasty. The original recipe called for a burrito, but I had to improvise with taco-sized tortillas. Romaine lettuce, cilantro, raw onion, avocado, salsa, and fat-free refried beans went into them. The jalapeno refried beans from Whole Foods Market are actually a staple in our pantry, as they're so guilt-free at only 80C/0.5c with 5g each of fiber and protein. The new food item in this meal though were the sprouted corn tortillas. They're made without corn meal or flour and completely derive from freshly sprouted 100% organic whole kernel corn. Apparently, sprouting a grain maximizes its nutrient potential by increasing the vitamin and mineral content and somehow altering their proteins and carbohydrates in a way that allows them to be absorbed more efficiently by the body.




Snack 2: Dark Chocolate & Fresh Coconut, 310C

These two taste awesome together! Nice crunch, and just the right amount of sweetness. Another new combination for me. This journey through UltraMetabolism is turning out to be a really fun, new culinary experience. And what's extra sweet is that dark chocolate (i.e., cocoa) is "emerging as the king of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory polyphenols, not to mention PEA or phenylethylamine that mimics the love molecules in your brain, and the source of OEA, the special fat that turns on your metabolism" (App. B, emphasis mine--ooh la la).



Dinner: Moroccan Chicken with Cauliflower & Cashews, 400C

First Moroccan-inspired meal I've had ever, and it was pretty good! The two exotic ingredients in the dish were garam masala and pomegranate molasses, which together imparted the broth with an interesting curry-like, yet mildly sweet flavor. Garam masala, a "smorgasbord of phytonutrients," is an admixture of cloves, coriander, cumin, cardamon, fennel, mace, black pepper, and nutmeg. I've used it before in Indian dishes. The debut food item for me this meal however was the pomegranate molasses, a natural sweetener that makes for a nice change from honey.



___________________________________________________________________
Today's workout: p90X Shoulders/Arms, Ab Ripper X

1 comment:

danamdkny said...

If you look up recipes to make pom molasses they say sugar is needed -- what are the states on the ethnic brand?